Learning Management Systems (LMS)
UIM works with the Moodle LMS platform, which is helpful in managing access to training or learning materials by staff or partners.
What is Moodle?
Moodle is known as a Course Management System (CMS) or a Learning Management System (LMS). It is a web application that educators/trainers/managers can use to create effective online learning sites. Moodle manages training content, users/administrators, uploading of content by users/administrators and login details. It can be integrated with your site using a CMS extension to share content into designated areas of the site. From our experience Moodle is the best online learning repository at the moment but in the future you could consider adding a SCORM framework to move your training content and course to another LMS or add an additional learning system (for external parties).
More specifically, Moodle:
- Delivers modules that require staff to read text, look at diagrams and perhaps watch a video or two. They can flick back and forth through sections if they would like to read/watch something again. When they reach the end of the learning section they are asked to complete a test of their knowledge
- Can cater for multiple repeat, recurring and singular courses
- Has capacity to manage 100’s of users accessing multiple courses and many different content types (text, images, diagrams and videos)
- Can be tailored to users within a course – Some users may not be required to complete course sections
- Contains a reporting module and all information collected in the LMS can be output to csv and xls formats
- Has in-built log-in management, ACL and permissions
- Intranet style knowledge sharing
- Application of accreditation points and levels.
- Forum tools.
- Standard FAQs section that everyone sees
- Users can upload and download content e.g. pdfs etc
- Ability to limit the time a user spends on a module or in a test
We would love to speak with you if you would like more information about integrating a learning management system with your existing website.